Tuesday, December 1, 2009

Remarks of Councilmember Duchy Trachtenberg at the County Council's December 1st Election of Council Officers

I’m offering this morning public support for my friend and colleague, Vice President Berliner, for the Presidency of the Montgomery County Council. Councilmember Berliner has represented District 1, my hometown, with distinction and character. He has been gracious, collegial, and productive in all his endeavors here at the Council. Council Vice President Berliner has earned his place as an officer on this dais and he should be afforded the opportunity to serve as our Council President.

Several weeks back, when interviewed by the media, I stated that it was my belief that this Council would come together during this election process. I had truly hoped that we would, embracing the institution and respecting the urgency of the people’s business. Sadly, I was mistaken, because brute political ambition apparently has replaced the fundamental civility and congenial dialogue that were hallmarks of this County Council for over forty years.

Instead, decisions will be made today that forever change the manner in which the people’s business is addressed. At a time when the public has a right to expect responsible and responsive leadership in an unprecedented time of fiscal peril, some colleagues are more concerned at un-electing certain other colleagues. I am so, so disappointed with those who think that a Council seat or leadership slot is designed for political punishment of their opponents rather than constructive and effective representation of the public at-large.

There are important implications of today’s rejection of a forty-year tradition of electing a sitting vice-president as the new council president the first Tuesday in December. First off, the political abuse of this process will undoubtedly convince the voters in this county to start electing the Council President every four years in the general election. Why leave it in the hands of squabbling and manipulative councilmembers who will flap in the winds of political expediency?

Secondly, having access to raw political power is not equal to exercising real leadership. Just because you can do something does not mean you should do it.

However, we are at a serious moment in the history of this Council that has been served by many giants, Norm Christeller, Ida Mae Garrett, Neil Potter, Sid Kramer, Esther Gelman, Ike Leggett and Marilyn Praisner among them. I recall quite vividly the care and thoughtfulness that went into Council President Praisner’s decisions about the Council committees and key leadership roles, at the beginning of this present term. Marilyn in a 5-4 Council configuration (after an electoral battle centered on growth and development) could have easily played the power cards handed her with a new majority. Instead she exercised leadership with a firm but fair hand. She chose to unify this Council by making sure each councilmember had opportunities to shine no matter their policy stripes. In fact, I recall the effort she put into the selection of the vice-president, offering the opportunity not to a political ally but rather to a colleague with very divergent views from her own.

I often refer to the large stack of papers, articles and hand-written notes Marilyn left to me the night before her surgery. I rarely share these treasures as I’ve saved them for special times – they are used sparingly and in moments of crisis. Over the weekend I read one more time the following words inscribed on page 11 of Marilyn’s testament: “Don’t give in to petty and cruel politics. Keep smiling and don’t forget why you came to the COB.”

That’s kept me going through today and will keep me going tomorrow as well. I will reach deep into my soul to continue my work on behalf of the people of Montgomery County. And Mr.Vice-President, Roger, I know you will too. I am pleased and proud to support your nomination this morning.

No comments:

Post a Comment