Friday, May 14, 2010

Statement of Councilmember Duchy Trachtenberg at the Kensington Town Hall Forum

Good Evening. I’m Duchy Trachtenberg and I’m running for re-election to the Montgomery County Council, as an At-Large member.

When I raised my hand back in December of 2006 to take the oath of office, I understood the obligation I had to the residents of Montgomery County. For me, it was a continuation of my life’s work. During these last four years, I have strived to put people first and I have been hard-working and deliberate in my legislative actions, always willing to speak truth to power.

My priorities have been centered around children-their supports in school and out of school; public safety; public transportation; healthy and sustainable development; and the vulnerable, our most needy residents.

An example of this is the role I played in spearheading the Montgomery County Family Justice Center project into a reality. This is a clearinghouse facility that consolidates services for domestic violence victims and their children. In its first year of operation, over 1400 victims from over 100 countries have been served.

I helped lead the effort to reform our disability retirement system. I helped ensure that our procedures are based on a sound, public health foundation; that this important retirement benefit is preserved for those that are eligible; and that all employees have equitable access to the best medical practices.

As the Chair of the Council’s Management & Fiscal Policy Committee, I have worked with colleagues and the Executive branch to define over 2 billion dollars in savings during the first three budget cycles and presently I am playing an important role in defining our long-term fiscal plan in these most challenging times.

When I came to the Council building, I didn’t just want to fill an empty chair, I came to change lives. I believe I have done just that and I ask for your support tonight. Please vote on September 14th for Duchy Trachtenberg, Montgomery County Council, At-Large.

No comments:

Post a Comment