Tuesday, October 19, 2010

Pass the Emergency Services Transport Fee - Remarks by County Councilmember Duchy Trachtenberg


Following are my remarks at today's "Vote for A" Press Conference in support of a Montgomery County Emergency Services Transport Fee, held at the Montgomery County Fire and Rescue Service Fleet Section Central Maintenance Facility in Rockville, Maryland.

 One of the reasons I am standing here today is because I have never been afraid to speak out when I see government being hobbled by misinformation, distortions and political gamesmanship by a vocal minority

This candor is not without consequences, as I know very, very well. But I am not sorry for what I have said and written concerning the county executive’s proposed revenue recovery program.

Let’s be clear about the facts. The money collected under this revenue recovery program is money that will be paid by insurance companies, Medicare and Medicaid.

Let me repeat that. If you have Medicare, Medicaid or private insurance, you have probably already paid for the cost of ambulance transport through your policy or coverage.

Anyone telling you otherwise is trying to scare you, or to manipulate the truth for their own purpose.

What is the truth? Let’s be clear about that, too, because I believe truth has tremendous power. The people of Montgomery County need to know the truth—and that is, if you are uninsured or indigent, the recovery fee will be waived.

We need to spread this truth far and wide, and make sure the truth is heard above the din of distortion.

I also want to say this from my heart, as someone who has worked her whole life to shore up the social safety net and help people in need rise above their immediate challenges and build a better life.

This reimbursement money is required to cover the growing costs of essential county services, including those related to public safety and social services. The only way to ensure our continued support for the mentally ill, at-risk youths, the homeless and the many nonprofit groups we depend on every day is to collect the $14-17 million a year in reimbursements that are currently slipping through our fingers.

The County Executive should be praised for finding a steady source of revenue to fund programs that are often the first to go when budgets are cut. Why, then, is he facing such vocal, vehement opposition?

Why is a small group that has benefitted under the status quo spending large sums to protect their interests? I recently hear something I find very disturbing.

It’s been reported to me, and I hope will be independently verified by the media, that one supporter of the volunteer fire service was asked to write a $41,000 check to pay for polling and testing lines of attack against revenue recovery.

I don’t want money that should be spent in this community to protect citizens to go to a bunch of pollsters and spin doctors, do you?

I had the courage of my convictions to study this issue and change my vote in the County Council, because I believe that without reimbursement for ambulance services, people we know, people we see every day, real people—will suffer, slide deeper into health crises, mental illness and addiction.

I paid a political price for my candor, but the cost to my conscience would be far greater if I remained silent.

No comments:

Post a Comment